READ: If the World Were a Village
The 2nd Edition of the best-selling book which has sold over 400 000 copies in 17 languages – updated with new content and insights about the world's people.
First published to wide acclaim in 2002, this eye-opening book has since become a classic, promoting "world-mindedness" by imagining the world's population – all 6.8 billion of us – as a village of just 100 people.
Now, If the World Were a Village has been newly revised with updated statistics, several new activities and completely new material on food security, energy and health. By exploring the lives of the 100 villagers, children will discover that life in other nations is often very different from their own.
If the World Were a Village is part of CitizenKid: A collection of books that inform children about the world and inspire them to be better global citizens.
- “This highly informative book will get kids thinking and asking questions.”
- — Booklist, March 2002
- “It’s an eye-opener for all.”
- — Where Toronto, March 2002
- “These days, the world seems to be getting smaller. This timely, unique book enhances that sentiment. It is useful for a current understanding of the world’s population.”
- — School Library Journal, May 2002
- “Thought-provoking and highly effective, this world-in-miniature will open eyes to a wider view of our planet and its human inhabitants.”
- — Horn Book Magazine, May 2002
- “This amazing book could be used in many different ways across the curriculum. Each chapter (on topics such as population, food and schooling) is accompanied by bright, folksy illustrations that make this global village look like a lively and interesting place. Includes a section on teaching children about the global village.”
- — Children's Book News, December 2002
- “Unique format shrinks the world’s population down to 100 and presents who we are, where we live, how fast we are growing, what languages we speak and more.”
- — ForeWord, April 2002
- “This offering can be an eye-opener and a source of action.”
- — Library Talk Starred Review, December 2002
Alberta Children's Choice Rocky Mountain Book Award, shortlist
Children's Book Award, International Reading Association, winner
Independent Publisher Book Award, winner
Nautilus Award, winner
Notable Social Studies Trade Books for Young People, winner
Our Choice - Starred Selection, Canadian Children’s Book Centre, winner
Parent’s Guide Choice Award, winner
NAPPA - Children’s Resources Gold Award, winner